Monday, May 18, 2015

Digital Blog Post A: Chapters 1&2

1. Technology Based Textbooks
Page 8 {1.2}

With the turn of the century not too long ago, technological advances have become more prevelant than they ever were before. The chunk of people's time that is consumed with using technology is larger than the time it is not being used. After much thought, I realized that nearly everything I do in my life requires some form of technology. My computer is used to complete school work, my cell phone is used to access all types of social media as well as different forms of communication, and my iPod is used to listen to music while running or lifting at the gym. The amount of dependency we have on our technology to keep basically every aspect of our lives together is unreal! With all of the social advances of technology that I am more than happy about, there is one that I don't agree with. The use of "E-Books" is something I hope I never have to implement into my classroom. When it comes to school work, I'm a very old-fashioned learner. I don't necessarily mean a chalk-board and white chalk {I use a whiteboard and expo's, a HUGE advancement for me} but I like the ability to touch my textbooks and physically turn the page while highlighting and writing notes in them. While there are some technologies that are essential to have in the classroom, I believe this isn't one of them. 

2. Key Issues For Technology-Using Teachers
Page 24 {2.4}

After completing the section on issues for technology-using teachers, I have many mixed feelings. As I previously stated, I am old fashioned when it comes to my approach to learning. There are many pieces of technology that are important to use in the classroom in order to enhance a child's learning experience. With the constant sense of change and advancement, it's important to include those changes into the classroom. For example, the ability to interactively teach a lessons on dolphins was very difficult compared to now. The computer can be used to watch videos of dolphins in their habitat; the National Geographic website is available to access tools made by professionals for all grade levels; and, presentations can be made through Powerpoint and Prezi to share with the class. In the nineteenth century, a simple lecture with maybe a black and white pixelated photo was all that was available. A barrier that effects my view on technology is the ability, or in my case the non-ability, to use it. So many Web 2.0 tools are confusing and nit-picky when trying to use them. I think I would be more opened minded if they were easier to navigate. 

3. My Teaching Philosophy
Page 35 {2.6}

Educational philosophy is one of my favorite subjects covered so far. I am also enrolled in "Intro To Diversity" and we covered this subject in our second discussion. After completing an "Approach to Education" assessment, I landed somewhere between progressivism and essentialism. With progressivism and essentialism being complete opposites, I was drawn to both approaches because of different things. When it comes to the actual core curriculum, essentialism is especially important to me. There should be a standard of information set for each student to accomplish before they can move on to the next grade level. Education is primarily a "building block" principle. In order to be capable of higher level thinking and problems, one must complete the primary skills needed to do so. Within my classroom, I will take a progressive approach to convey the core curriculum to my students. Classical music is proven to trigger the brain academically, therefore during tests and group projects it will be played. Many group discussions will take place and students will be given the opportunity to make small choices. For example, if we are completing a unit regarding different climates I would use a three part lesson plan. The first day {lets say unit 1.1}, I would use a prezi and have a class discussion to see what the students already know regarding climates and to share new information with them. The second day {1.2}, I would allow students to work in small groups and choose five different places in the world. They would make a flip-book of their own describing the places and climate in their own words and draw a picture to go with it. The third day {1.3}, students would present these projects to the class. Within that lesson, I incorporated essentialism by meeting a state standard to teach climates and I used a progressive approach to do so. Personally, I feel as though the progressive approach incorporates more technology than essentialism does. Many creative tools are used to convey the information to students in a fun and interactive way. With students being so technology savvy now-a-days, it is hard to keep their attention with just a textbook. 

The following is a link to the Tackk I created. This image was taken by me. 

Sources

Maloy, Robert, Verock-O’Loughlin,Ruth-Ellen, Edwards, Sharon A., and Woolf, Beverly Park (2013). Transforming Learning with New Technologies. 2nd Edition. Boston, MA: Pearson Education, Inc.

1 comment:

  1. Great reflective blog post on three very relevant and important concepts. :) It is amazing how integral and ubiquitous technology has become in our lives. I do think that sometimes people put the blame on technology for some negative consequences, but it really is about the humans controlling (or not!) their use of technology...and the key is purposeful balance! Also, state law requires that all textbooks be digital by 2016 (I think that is the year), so learning to read digitally vs. paper is going to be imperative not only for you, but also for your future students.

    In addition, you included your created web 2.0 digital tool of Tackk - impressive - but you want to remember to give credit to yourself for future! (please see 'how to' screencast videos in Module page, Creating Blog. For future, continue the good work in adding more posts to this blog - just add your web 2.0 creation attributions to the resource list (and get in on time!). ;)

    ReplyDelete