Friday, June 5, 2015

Digital Blog Post D: Chapters 6&10

1. Taking Virtual Field Trips 
Page 140 {6.3}

As a growing adult, I have caught a serious case of wanderlust. I love to travel whenever I have the money, the time, and the opportunity. There are so many beautiful places to see in the world; not only in our close environment, but all over the place! Normally as a student, both mom and dad work full time jobs with limited vacation time. Limited vacation time for them means limited vacation time for the student too. As a future teacher, I hope to incorporate as much of the world and it's cultures into my classroom as possible. I want to be able to include at least one lesson per week on a different city, state, or country regardless of the grade I am teaching. By utilizing many of the available online tools, I can put important landmarks and places right into my classroom!

Made by Sierra Myers using Piktochart 

2. Connecting Classrooms with Communities and Cultures
Page 247 {10.1}

With a limited amount of time to cover an abundant amount of material, it is often difficult to emphasize each culture throughout the school year. In my classroom, I hope to incorporate many different cultures and backgrounds through a variety of tools and lessons. Although the Native Americans, African Americans, and the colonization of America are all important points to cover, there are many other groups of people and events that are just as important. I would love to include more of a focus on Europe and Asia as well as different parts of South America and Africa. It makes a student feel more important and interested in the material when it relates to them and their culture!

Made by Sierra Myers using Canva 

3. Differentiated Instruction
Page 248 {10.2}

Until I read about it in this chapter, I never noticed the emphasis schools have on implementing differentiated instruction. While completing observation hours at Mike Davis Elementary in Naples, an abundant amount of this technique was used, even in the kindergarten classroom. Especially during math and writing centers, there were between four and six different activities for students to be doing regarding the unit being taught. The students were split up into groups based on their level of understanding, which I thought was wonderful when it came to the teacher/student center. Due to my mixed teaching philosophy, I hope to include plenty of differentiated instruction for my students.

Resources 

Maloy, Robert, Verock-O’Loughlin,Ruth-Ellen, Edwards, Sharon A., and Woolf, Beverly Park (2013). Transforming Learning with New Technologies. 2nd Edition. Boston, MA: Pearson Education, Inc.
Myers, Sierra. (Photograph). (2015). Traveling [photograph]. Cape Coral, Florida. 
Myers, Sierra. (Photograph). (2015). Virtual Landmark Field Trip Locations [photograph]. Cape Coral, Florida.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome post and creative ways of using Canva and Piktochart to better enhance your text - they are similar tools in many ways - but you can see how each might work for you in the future, as well. :) I like that you are thinking about incorporating various cultures in your future classroom - and fortunately, various uses of technology can virtually transport you there in the blink of an eye!

    ReplyDelete