Monday, June 22, 2015

Reflection Post

Made by Sierra Myers on Canva

When I first signed up for EME2040, I was extremely nervous considering my lack of technological knowledge. I always told myself that including copious amount of technology into the classroom would only depreciate the lessons; not enhance them. Now that this course is coming to a close, I realize how important of a role technology actually plays in the classroom.

My favorite project that we were required to complete was definitely the teacher webpage. With creating this webpage, many of the learning outcomes listed in the syllabus were covered. These included: 
  • Developing an internet-based project that uses technology as both a medium and a goal of K-12 instruction.
  • Evaluate and critique various software an hardware tools to determine utility in a K-12 setting.
  • Create a portfolio with samples reflecting ways technology can support classroom management, administration, and teaching in a K-12 classroom.
Even as a little girl I played school with my little brother and my neighbors- of course, I always made sure I played the teacher role. Having the ability to create my own webpage for my "classroom" and customize every part of it really gave me the opportunity to show my creativity as well as my teaching approach. I ended up using the Wix tool and fell in love with it. I will be sure to use Wix within my own classroom.

As for constructive criticism, I feel as though the collaborative lesson plan was a little tough. The assignment {all in all} doesn't really include a lot of tasks; therefore it is hard for everyone to agree on most of the steps. It seemed like whoever wrote the lesson procedure really set the tone for each of the other parts. Maybe instead of it being one lesson plan, have the groups collaborate to create lessons for an entire unit. For example, say students were working on branches of the United States government. One lesson is on the Judicial, another Executive, the third Legislative, and then some kind of review for the fourth day. This way, each student within the group gets to incorporate more of their ideas into the project. 

Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed taking EME2040 and am thankful for all of the Web 2.0 tools it has shown me. I now plan to incorporate an abundance of technology and technology-based lessons into my classroom. This course has introduced me to so many new aspects of teaching and I cannot wait to use everything I have learned!

A little note from Kid President :)



Resources:
Myers, Sierra. (Photograph). (2015). Knowledge is power. [photograph]. Cape Coral, Florida.
[Soul Pancake]. (2013, September 12). Kid President's Pep Talk To Teachers and Students.[Video File]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwlhUcSGqgs&list=PLXmA2wXxe1yZ-3M882sHe5yX0Z-CMorfw. 

No comments:

Post a Comment